New Alliance Members Arup, CBRE Group, Inc., IBM, IFF, Lendlease, Noaber Foundation, Sino-Ocean Group, View Inc. and Welspun convene at first Well Living Lab Alliance Summit on September 13 – 14 in Rochester, Minn.
ROCHESTER, Minn. — Sept. 13, 2016 — Today, approximately one year after opening, the newly created Well Living Lab announced its first Alliance Members. Founding Alliance Members of the Well Living Lab include Arup, CBRE Group, Inc., IBM, Lendlease, Sino-Ocean Group Holding Limited and View Inc. International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (IFF) and Noaber Foundation have joined as Sustaining Alliance Members and Welspun has joined as a Supporting Alliance Member. The announcement was made at the inaugural Well Living Lab Alliance Summit on September 13-14, bringing together industry leaders in real estate and health and wellness in Rochester, Minn.
A collaboration of Delos™ and Mayo Clinic, the Well Living Lab is a new research facility dedicated to understanding the interaction between health and well-being and indoor environments through human-centered research. The purpose of the lab is to generate evidence-based information through human-centered research that can be used in practical ways to create healthier spaces in which to live, work and play.
“We are excited about the Alliance members that have become part of the Well Living Lab over the past year. This is a powerful community forming around the indoor, built environment and its effect on human health and well-being,” said Brent Bauer. M.D., medical director of the Well Living Lab and director of medicine for Mayo Clinic’s Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program, “New knowledge shows that building healthier indoor environments can actually preserve and enhance human health and quality of life.”
The Well Living Lab combines the health care expertise and world-class research of Mayo Clinic and the knowledge of health and wellness in the built environment provided by DelosTM. This world-class living lab leverages and expands upon the principles of the WELL Building Standard™ (WELL), which focuses on seven concepts relevant to indoor health—air, water, nourishment, light, fitness, comfort and mind. The WELL Building Standard was launched in 2014, is administered by the International WELL Building Institute™ (IWBI™), and third-party certified through Green Business Certification Inc (GBCI).
Additional information on the Alliance Members’ organizations can be found below:
- Arup is a multinational professional services firm providing engineering, design, planning, project management and consulting services for all aspects of the built environment.
- CBRE Group, Inc. is the world’s largest manager of commercial buildings, with an adept knowledge base of how buildings are built, sourced, managed, occupied and sold.
- IBM is a global technology and innovation company that offers a wide range of technology and consulting services; a broad portfolio of middleware for collaboration, predictive analytics, software development and systems management; and the world’s most advanced servers and supercomputers.
- International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (IFF) is a leading innovator of sensorial experiences that move the world, co-creating unique products that consumers taste, smell, or feel in fine fragrances and beauty, detergents and household goods, as well as beloved foods and beverages.
- Lendlease is a leading international property and infrastructure group, listed on the Australian Securities Exchange. Lendlease’s capabilities span the property value chain including development, project management & construction, asset and property management and investment management.
- Noaber Foundation, based in the Netherlands, focuses on healthcare technology as an enabler of healthier lives for patients and people through increased vitality, enhanced independence from formal care and smart delivery of healthcare.
- Sino-Ocean Group, based in Beijing, boasts a multi-regional and diversified portfolio of both development and investment properties.
- View Inc. offers intelligent windows that maximize natural light and unobstructed views while reducing heat and glare. View Dynamic Glass is ideal for forward-thinking, energy conscious builders and architects who want the best for their occupants.
- Welspun is a multinational company whose core industries are steel, energy, and textiles.
Opportunities to participate in the Lab are available to companies who have a vested interest in healthier indoor environments for their employees and customers, as well as those whose products and services have the potential to impact indoor environments.
“There is a movement taking hold to make healthier indoor spaces a priority in both residential and commercial real estate,” said Peter Scialla, chief operating officer of Delos and a member of the Lab’s Joint Steering Committee. “Building on existing standards which guide developers and manufacturers of products and services toward this goal, the Well Living Lab will be a leader in translating scientific research into practical solutions for indoor environments that have the potential to enhance human health and quality of life in a multitude of ways.”
About the Well Living Lab
A collaboration of Delos and Mayo Clinic Center for Innovation, the Well Living Lab is the first human-centered research facility dedicated to identifying how buildings—and everything that goes in them—impacts human health and well-being. The purpose of the Well Living Lab is to study these indoor environments and create healthier indoor spaces in which to work, live and play. A world-class, multi-disciplinary research approach guides the work of the Well Living Lab, as scientific and medical experts from Mayo Clinic and around the world conduct and translate research that leads to solutions for healthier indoor environments. The Well Living Lab is unique in that research is conducted on real people, in real-world settings. This is made possible by the revolutionary infrastructure of the Well Living Lab, which features 7,500 square feet of sensor rich, reconfigurable space where researchers can monitor and test products and systems on human subjects in simulated, real-world, built environments.
As the pioneer of Wellness Real Estate™, Delos is transforming our homes, offices, schools, and other indoor environments by placing health and wellness at the center of design and construction decisions. Delos helps create spaces that actively contribute to human health, performance and well-being by marrying the best innovations in technology, health, science, and real estate. The Delos platform includes programming, consulting, research, and an array of innovative, built-in amenities that research suggests may improve occupant wellbeing. More information on Delos is available at www.delos.com.
About Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a nonprofit organization committed to medical research and education, and providing expert whole-person care to everyone who needs healing. For more information, visit http://mayoclinic.org, and www.newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org.