Fifth-Generation Family-Owned Winery to Serve Fine Spanish & Washington Wines at its First Western Washington Location in The Schoolhouse District’s Wine Walk Row
Woodinville, Wash., August 9, 2021 – MainStreet Property Group LLC, a full-service Kirkland-based real estate developer, along with partner HAL Real Estate, today announced Valdemar Estates will open a new tasting room at the transformative Schoolhouse District mixed-use development in downtown Woodinville.
“As a fifth-generation family-owned winery, we’re so pleased to be continuing our wine journey to include our very first location in Western Washington at ‘The Schoolhouse District’ project,” said Jesús Martínez-Bujanda, 5th generation CEO of The Valdemar Family. “When we decided to expand we knew we didn’t want to open just another tasting room in Woodinville—we wanted to offer something special to the community—and I think that is what we’re doing with our new location in Wine Walk Row at The Schoolhouse District,” continued Martínez-Bujanda.
Valdemar Estates’ location will occupy nearly 3,000 sq. ft. that extends into a spacious outdoor patio that celebrates the indoor-outdoor connection to all that The Schoolhouse District has to offer. Valdemar will be part of The Schoolhouse District’s Wine Walk Row which will provide a vibrant collection of wine tasting rooms and food experiences.
“We are so pleased to welcome Valdemar Estates to The Schoolhouse District,” said Kelly Price, President of MainStreet Property Group. Price continued, “Valdemar is a storied Spanish winery with a multi-generational history of making amazing wines. This has continued in Walla Walla and now it will be accessible to the Woodinville community. I look forward to Valdemar being one of the destination wineries in Woodinville. Their tapas dining program will also complement their amazing wines. Welcome Valdemar!”
The Wine Walk Row is just a part of the five-acre Schoolhouse District project that also includes adaptive reuse of the historic Schoolhouse No. 23 Building and provides a first-of-its kind destination experience with multiple dining, residential living, wine tasting and recreation options.
The project’s architecture—standing side-by-side with a restored and repurposed schoolhouse and substantial landscaping, art installations, public walkways and seating—creates a unique visitor experience. Other recent retail announcements include Walla Walla Steak Co. and Crossbuck Brewing.
“Whether it’s exclusive access to wine, private events, or complementary flights, our new location has a lot to offer both current and future Valdemar Estates Wine Club members living on the west side of Washington state,” continued Martínez-Bujanda.
Valdemar Estates at The Schoolhouse District
Originally founded in La Rioja, Spain as Bodegas Valdemar, Valdemar Estates expanded into the U.S. in 2019 and became the first internationally-owned winery to open in Washington State—with wines from La Rioja, Spain and Walla Walla served alongside each other and complemented by a full-service kitchen offering elegant plates of traditional Spanish cuisine.
Slated to open in Spring 2022, Valdemar Estates chose The Schoolhouse District as its next location for both ease of access and location. By opening a tasting room and restaurant in a residential neighborhood, Valdemar Estates aims to provide a world-class wine and food experience for all to enjoy—with the hope that locals, tourists and wine collectors alike will all feel equally at home in the new location, whether coming for a small bite of food, a wine flight, or to have an exquisite dinner.
Valdemar will also serve Tapas Clasicas (classic tapas) such as traditional Spanish cured meats, cheese plates with local and Spanish cheeses.
History Reimagined: The Schoolhouse District Comes Back to Life
Together with the City of Woodinville, MainStreet and HAL began construction on the transformative‘The Schoolhouse District’ project in the heart of downtown Woodinville in summer 2019. Adjacent to the downtown soccer fields and City Hall, The Schoolhouse District will provide a first-of-its kind destination experience and includes the following:
- Schoolhouse No. 23 Building: Originally built in 1909, Woodinville’s historic Schoolhouse No. 23 has stood empty for more than a decade and is being revitalized and restored by MainStreet Property Group. Restored (including extensive brick/window restorations) as a historic landmark building through coordination with the King County Landmarks Committee, Schoolhouse No. 23 features Walla Walla Steak Co. and Crossbuck Brewing as anchor tenants occupying the full building, each with approximately 6,500 sq. ft., of retail space.
- Wine Walk Row: Up to 11 wine tasting spaces in the ground-floor of the project’s two multi-family buildings. The ‘Wine Walk Row’ spaces, which are now available for lease, include individual roll-up doors and ample room for outdoor seating / gathering.
- Additional Retail Space: Featuring light-filled, oversized windows facing NE 175th St. and high-ceilings the 3,400 sq. ft retail space across from the Schoolhouse No. 23 Building is leased to a full service local medical and day spa. Announcement coming soon! This corner will also feature a small ice cream kiosk.
- Residential: Creation of 266 multi-family residential homes across two buildings. Pre-leasing began July 1st, 2021, with the building slated to open next month, the apartments are already 13% pre-leased
- Recreation: Renovation of 8,000 sq. ft. of the existing Carol Edwards Center YMCA, as well as the addition of 8,500 sq. ft. of childcare space, accommodating up to 120 children and outdoor play area open to the public when the daycare is not in session.
- Open Space and Festival Street: Addition of approximately 30,000 sq. ft. of public open space including a Festival Street promenade that will be used for City events such as a farmer’s market with public restrooms. This area will also include outdoor dining and seating, public playground, a chalkboard wall and game areas, an outdoor movie wall, public art and field-viewing spaces.
- Underground Parking: The project will also include400 stalls of underground parking, with 170 stalls available for public use.GenCap is the project general contractor and Insite Property Solutions is managing residential leasing at The Schoolhouse District. GGLO is the architect and interior designer.
For more information about other available commercial space at The Schoolhouse District, interested parties can contact Angela Oliveri at First Western Properties by email or phone (206-853-1330), where visitors can view individual floorplans for available retail spaces.
About MainStreet Property Group.
MainStreet Property Group and its family of companies develops, constructs and operates remarkable residential communities and commercial spaces with the goal of delighting our customers. To do this, MainStreet encourages innovation and creativity to foster unique perspective that emphasize thoughtful, environmentally-friendly approaches. As a leading Puget Sound developer with a focus on the Eastside, MainStreet has been a meaningful leader in the revitalization efforts of downtown Bothell, Kenmore, Redmond and Sammamish, and has completed multifamily projects across the Eastside region. In addition to MainStreet Property Group, the MainStreet family of companies includes GenCap Construction Corp., a commercial general contractor and Insite Property Solutions LLC, a property management company.
About HAL Real Estate.
HAL Real Estate Inc. is a Seattle-based real estate investment firm focused on direct and joint-venture investment opportunities across the Greater Puget Sound region. HAL has deep experience in acquisition, development and recapitalization of apartment, condominium, office, and mixed-use properties. The firm has the financial resources of a large institutional investor, but operates with the speed and flexibility of a local private investor using its own capital.