Woodinville, Wash. – MainStreet Property Group LLC, a full-service Kirkland-based real estate developer, along with partner HAL Real Estate, today announced Ethan Stowell Restaurants’ (ESR) first Eastside expansion location for the ‘Ballard Pizza Co.’ will be as the anchor retailer in The Schoolhouse District’s ‘Wine Walk Row.’
“The Ethan Stowell Restaurants group is an incredibly-talented, beloved brand in the Pacific Northwest marketplace—and we can’t wait to welcome Ethan’s Ballard Pizza Co. to ‘Wine Walk Row’ at The Schoolhouse District in its very first location on the Eastside,” said MainStreet Property Group President Kelly Price. “Building on Woodinville’s strong sense of community, this type of vibrant and familial gathering space is exactly what we envisioned for this amazing space at The Schoolhouse District.”
Ballard Pizza Co.’s location will overlook the Woodinville Fields as part of the five-acre Schoolhouse District project that includes adaptive reuse of the historic Schoolhouse No. 23 Building and provides a first-of-its kind destination experience with multiple dining, residential living, wine tasting and recreation options. The project’s modern architecture—standing side-by-side with a restored and repurposed schoolhouse and substantial landscape, art, public pathways and seating with a 400-stall underground parking garage—creates a unique visitor experience.
“Ethan Stowell Restaurants has always had a strong tie to the Woodinville wine community, but with this new Ballard Pizza Co. location we are most excited about getting to know the families and personalities of this fantastic community,” said Ethan Stowell, Founder and CEO of Ethan Stowell Restaurants.
“I am proud to say that I grew up on the border of Redmond and Woodinville. For me, opening this new location is a happy homecoming and a celebration of some of my fondest memories. I want to give back to the community the type of restaurant that I have loved,” added Ethan Stowell Restaurants’ President Steve Hooper.
Ballard Pizza Co. at The Schoolhouse District
As a Chef Ethan Stowell’s first casual counter-service concept, the Ballard Pizza Co. opened its original location in Ballard in late 2010 with a second Fremont location following in 2015 and a third at Safeco Field (now T-Mobile Park) in 2017. Offering classic New York-style deck oven pizza that keeps it simple while using the best ingredients—including aged dough to give the pizza depth and flavor—Ballard Pizza Co. is all about celebrating with your friends, your family or your team.
Slated to open in the second half of 2021, Ballard Pizza Co.’s first Eastside location will anchor The Schoolhouse District’s ‘Wine Walk Row’ overlooking the Woodinville Sports Field and the City of Woodinville’s all-new Festival Street. Featuring a variety of items available via restaurant or patio dining, takeout or delivery—the menu will include everything from pizzas, salads, snacks and sweets to wines, beers, ciders, seltzer and soft drinks.
Special offerings will include popular ‘fan favorites’ such as the Ballard Bridge Pizza with shredded mozzarella, pecorino, pepperoni, sausage, mushroom, black olive and tomato sauce; the Staple & Fancy Pizza featuring shredded mozzarella, pecorino, pepperoni, pineapple, jalapeño and tomato sauce; the Carbonara Pizza including shredded mozzarella, garlic oil, egg, garlic confit, speck and parmigiano reggiano; and the Big Moses—the undisclosed special of the day that is ‘taken on faith but promised to be good.’
With a focus on catering to communities and families, the new location will feature reclaimed and warm woods with Pacific Northwest modern-styling, weathered concrete and metal finishes in a durable space that feels comfortable and lived-in. The space will include a mix of small and large tables, counters for stools or standing and bountiful outdoor seating perfect for watching a game on the Field, or spilling out onto the ‘Great Lawn’—a public open space offering additional seating, a fire pit and games. It will also feature free space inside and outside for groups, teams, families and communities to gather and mingle.
History Reimagined: The Schoolhouse District Comes Back to Life
Together with the City of Woodinville, MainStreet and HAL began construction on the long-awaited transformative ‘The Schoolhouse District’ project in the heart of downtown Woodinville in summer 2019. Adjacent to the downtown soccer fields and City Hall, the Schoolhouse District will provide a first-of-its- kind destination experience and includes the following:
- Schoolhouse No. 23 Building: Originally built in 1909, Woodinville’s historic Schoolhouse No. 23 Building has stood empty for more than a decade and is being revitalized and restored by MainStreet Property Group. Restored (including extensive brick/window restorations) as a historic landmark building through coordination with the King County Landmarks Committee, Schoolhouse No. 23 features Walla Walla Steakhouse and Crossbuck Brewing as anchor tenants occupying the full building, each with approximately 6,500 sq. ft., of retail space.
- Wine Walk Row: Up to 11 wine tasting spaces are featured in the ground floor of the project’s two multi-family buildings, as well as a larger retail / restaurant space of approximately 3,200 sq. ft. The ‘Wine Walk Row’ spaces, which are now available for lease, include individual roll-up doors and ample room for outdoor seating / gathering.
- Additional Retail Space: Featuring light-filled, oversized windows facing NE 175th St. and high-ceilings idealfor a coffee shop or small business, the 3,400 sq. ft. retail space across from the Schoolhouse No. 23 Building is now available for lease as well, and also features space for outdoor seating.
- Residential: The project also includes creation of 266 multi-family residential homes across two buildings. Pre-leasing will begin as early as July 1st, 2021, with the building slated to open on September 1st, 2021.
- Recreation: Renovation of 8,000 sq. ft. of the existing Carol Edwards Center YMCA is included in the project, as well as the addition of 8,500 sq. ft. of childcare space, accommodating up to 120 children. The outdoor play area is also open to the public when the daycare is not in session.
- Open Space and Festival Street: The project includes the addition of approximately 30,000 sq. ft. of public open space, including a Festival Street promenade that will be used for City events (such as a farmer’s market) with public restrooms available. This area will also include outdoor dining and seating, a public playground, a chalkboard wall and game areas, an outdoor movie wall, public art and field-viewing spaces.
- Underground Parking: The project will also include400 stalls of underground parking, with 170 stalls available for public use.
“We’re especially excited about welcoming a carefully-curated mix of new wineries to the spaces in Wine Walk Row,” said Angela Oliveri, Executive Vice President at First Western Properties. “With a limited number of tasting spaces available, our team is hand-selecting tenants that represent the very best Washington wineries.”
GenCap is the project general contractor and Insite Property Solutions is managing residential leasing. GGLO is the architect and interior designer.
For more information about available commercial space at the Schoolhouse District, interested parties can contact Angela Oliveri at First Western Properties by email or phone (206-853-1330), where visitors can view individual floorplans for available retail spaces.
About MainStreet Property Group.
MainStreet Property Group and its family of companies develops, constructs and operates remarkable residential communities and commercial spaces with the goal of delighting our customers. To do this, MainStreet encourages innovation and creativity to foster unique perspective that emphasize thoughtful, environmentally-friendly approaches. As a leading Puget Sound developer with a focus on the Eastside, MainStreet has been a meaningful leader in the revitalization efforts of downtown Bothell, Kenmore, Redmond and Sammamish, and has completed multifamily projects across the Eastside region. In addition to MainStreet Property Group, the MainStreet family of companies includes GenCap Construction Corp., a commercial general contractor and Insite Property Solutions LLC, a property management Co.
About HAL Real Estate
HAL Real Estate Inc. is a Seattle-based real estate investment firm focused on direct and joint-venture investment opportunities across the Greater Puget Sound region. HAL has deep experience in acquisition, development and recapitalization of apartment, condominium, office, and mixed-use properties. The firm also invests in raw land, industrial and retail properties. HAL has the financial resources of a large institutional investor, but operates with the speed and flexibility of a local private investor using its own capital.
About Ethan Stowell Restaurants
Founded in 2007, Ethan Stowell Restaurants is a highly acclaimed restaurant group in Seattle founded and led by Chef Ethan Stowell. Ethan Stowell Restaurants include Tavolàta, How to Cook a Wolf, Staple & Fancy Mercantile, Ballard Pizza Co., Rione XIII, Mkt., Red Cow, Frēlard Pizza Co., Cortina, Cortina Cafe, The San Juan Seltzery, and Goldfinch Tavern in the Four Seasons Hotel Seattle. In 2019, Wolf opened in the Nordstrom flagship store in New York City.